Membership and Services
About Us - Membership & Services
Professional Learning Community
The AGTV promotes personal professional relationships between teachers across all sectors of education – primary and secondary, country and metropolitan, government and independent and Catholic systems, schools and universities. Together we collaborate to promote learning and life opportunities for students through the study of German.
Technology is providing new ways for members to collaborate online.
The AGTV provides a range of services for teachers and students of German. We make distinctions between members and non-member on most occasions.
We often work in cooperation with partners, including the Melbourne office of Goethe-Institut Australia (See Partners and Affiliations).
We are grateful to successive Victorian governments for grants from the Department of Education and Training (DET) to support our work.
The AGTV is a registered exchange organisation with the VRQA to coordinate the AGTV-BJR Student Exchange.
Online Membership and Event Management
NEW: The AGTV uses a secure online membership management software, which enable online payments and streamlines communication with individual members through eNewsletters and notifications. (since 2013)
The system enables online registration (and payment) for events and services organised by the AGTV. Individual members can update their own details.
Other services such as blogs and forums are also options.
How to Become an Individual Member
- CLICK HERE to apply for Individual Membership - a companion website, click on 'Membership & SZENE Subscriptions'
- AGTV Privacy Statement and Online Professional Learning Network Guidelines
Existing School Members - Membership Renewal
Current school members will be invoiced for the membership subscription at the start of the year.
Applications for School Membership
For schools wishing to become a member, please contact the Secretary of the AGTV for a link to an online application form and an invoice will be created for payment:
NB: All costs do not include GST. The AGTV is not registered for the GST and is not required to issue tax invoices.
Completing an application of the AGTV indicates the applicant agrees with the Purposes and Rules of the Association.
Purposes of the AGTV - to be revised
The purposes for which our association is established are:
a) to promote the teaching and learning of German in Victoria;
b) to offer support to all teachers and students of German on matters of concern;
c) to foster contact by teachers and students with speakers of German in the community and abroad;
d) to encourage and facilitate travel abroad by teachers of German and their students;
e) to cooperate with similar bodies interstate or overseas;
f) to cooperate with other monolingual language Associations in Victoria;
g) to cooperate with an umbrella organisation designed to further the cause of German.
Yearly Summary of Services and Committee and NW Leaders
Summary of Activities Within and/or Across Networks
Networks host Regional Finals of the AGTV Years 4 to 9 Poetry Competition.
Key Professional Learning Services Provided by the AGTV
- German-specific PD for teachers of German incl. Conferences and Seminars
- Sharing information about resources, events and opportunities for German
- Collaboration with partners incl. Goethe-Institut Australien, Kultur und Sprache in Austria, DET
- Publication of SZENE, a journal for teachers of German
- Sharing and development of curriculum and promotional materials
- Electronic networks and websites
Key Services for Students Learning German
- AGTV-BJR Student Exchange open to all students in Victoria since 1988
- Funding a SAGSE Scholarship for a Year 11 or 12 student since 1979
- Financial support of the GI/AGTV Year 10 Award
- Organisation of events incl. German Day Out, Year 12 Forum.
- Competitions for students from member schools incl. Kunst und Poesie, Poetry Competition, Deutsch roX
- Promoting opportunities for students of German while at school and beyond
- Provision of a dedicated section for Students on the AGTV website
Other Responsibilities of the Committee
- Administration of the association within government guidelines for an incorporated association
- Overseeing the financial and legal obligations of the AGTV
- Application for and reporting on grants to support our work
- Representing teachers' interests in response to issues related to German
- Nominating an AGTV Representative to the MLTAV Committee and others
- Representing Victoria at the Annual Meeting of the Network of Australian Teachers of German (NATG)
- Participation at forums to promote cooperation between individuals and groups
- Liaison with other organisations and groups in Australia and beyond to facilitate opportunities for teachers and students
AGTV Submissions in Support of Languages Education
- Submission to the Victorian Government - AGTV presentation to the the Victorian Languages Strategy Discussion Paper in February 2010
- Submission to ACARA - Executive response to the Shaping Paper for the Australian Curriculum: Languages in 2011
- Letter to ACARA - In response to the Draft Validated Curriculum published in October 2014
The AGTV website includes links to other sites that may be useful for the teaching and learning of German. The AGTV cannot take responsibility for the content of the websites and any further links beyond that are recommended, nor the inappropriate use of the content sourced from this or recommended websites.