Employment & Training
Teaching - Employment & Training
Jobs for Teachers of German in Victoria
Qualified language teachers can find work in Victoria. The time of advertising employment opportunities is spread throughout the year and application processes vary for different systems.
German is taught throughout metropolitan and country Victoria.
Here you can find links and information about teaching in Victorian schools in all systems.
Scroll down for links about TRAINING.
FINDING A LANGUAGE TEACHER
The AGTV is happy to use our electronic networks to advertise a position for a teacher of German in Victoria and beyond. We have an extensive network of teachers.
FINDING A JOB AS A TEACHER OF GERMAN IN VICTORIA
Employment for qualified teachers of languages is available in Government, Independent, Catholic, and Community schools, as well as for commercial Adult Education courses.
Schools advertise in print media in Victoria, most likely in the 'Careers and employment' sections of The Age and the Heraldsun on a Saturday.
The Language Teacher Register has been developed by the Department of Education and Training (DET) to assist schools to source qualified languages teachers in government schools. It is open to graduating, graduate and currently employed language teachers who are seeking a language teaching position in a government primary or secondary school.
- Download a Fact Sheet (updated 2016)
- Link to the Language Teacher Register - to list your availability
Jobs with the Victorian Department of Education and Training (DET)
Jobs are advertised online and applications are usually required to be submitted online. If successful, you will be appointed to a school, but employed by the DET.
- Department of Education and Training: Staffing & Information about Languages
Comprehensive information about teaching in government schools (incl. career change, international teachers): Teaching Careers
- Jobs in Victorian government schools and the VSL: Recruitment online
- Register your availability on the Language Teacher Register
- Government schools: Salary rates
Jobs in Independent Schools
Independent schools employ staff directly, applications are therefore made directly to each school. Teachers are covered by a salary award, but rates may vary from school to school.
- Independent Schools Victoria: Website
- Independent Schools recruitment: Employment Smartboard
- Independent schools: Salary rates
Jobs in Lutheran Schools
- Search for jobs in Lutheran schools for all subjects
Jobs in Catholic Education
Limited opportunities for teachers of German are available in Catholic Schools
Jobs in Community Schools
There are some opportunities to teach German in Community Language Schools.
Teacher Registration in Victoria
If you want to teach in Victorian schools in Victoria, you need to be registered with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT).
In addition to proving that you have the appropriate qualifications to be registered as a teacher, you need to meet the professional standards for graduating teachers, and satisfy a police check, as do all employees working with children.
- VIT Professional Standards - standards for graduating teachers leading to full registration
To maintain registration, you need to pay an annual fee and demonstrate evidence of completing professional development. Individual membership of the AGTV can be used as evidence of professional engagement.
- If you were trained overseas, you need your qualifications accredited: Australian Education International
- Other information in the German language about teaching, visas, teacher assistants, visas can be found on the FAQs of the AusDaF website
- Various websites for international students about tertiary study in Australia: Study in Australia - Study Options in Australia for International Students
GERMAN LANGUAGE COURSES AND SCHOLARSHIPS
The Goethe-Institut offers language scholarships for training teachers as well as qualified teachers, language courses in Melbourne, and an annual Summer School in Australia.
LANGUAGE ASSISTANTS AND TUTORS
Teacher Assistants in Germany and Victoria
- If you are a graduate under 29 with a good knowledge of German, you can apply to be an assistant for English in a German school
- Government schools in Victoria can apply for a teacher assistant for German. Information is forwarded to schools.
Tutors for students of German
If you intend on working with students under the age of 18, you will need a 'Working with Children' check if you cannot demonstrate current registration as a teacher.
Families occasionally ask the AGTV about tutors for students learning German, for which we can provide limited support, as we are not in a position to verify the experience or qualifications of tutors.
Pathways to Becoming a Teacher of German
Your language skill in German need to be accredited through either formal tertiary study in the language or have your skills formally assessed.
For comprehensive information about qualifications for language teaching and language training and re-training programs, please refer to the Languages section of the Department of Education and Training (DET).
- Victorian Government: DET Staffing - information about qualifications
- DET Languages - Languages pages
- Teaching Careers - pathways and scholarships in government schools
- International Teaching Program - government schools
The DAAD offers scholarship for tertiary students to study in Germany as part of your undergraduate degree.
Look under Why German: Where to learn German for further information about language learning opportunities for teachers, students and adults.
If you are wondering about why to learn German, see Why German: German for Your Future