Teaching and Learning German in Victoria

All teachers in schools must be registered with the Victorian Institut of Teaching (VIT).

German is taught across all sectors of education in schools –

There are three registered Community Schools in Victoria:

There are two bilingual schools with German in Victoria.

German is also taught in –

Registration of Teachers in Victoria

Teachers in Victorian Schools must be registered with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) and satisfy annual requirements and pay an annual registration fee.

Teachers with interstate qualifications may be eligible for mutual recognition.

Teachers with overseas qualifications are required to provide evidence of their qualifications and may be required to complete an English language competency test.

Casual Relief Teachers (CRT)

Language Teachers

Further information about qualifications for teaching languages in Government schools.

Qualifications & Prerequisites for New Teachers

Under the Education and Training Reform Act 2006, in order to become registered as a teacher, a person must obtain a qualification that is appropriate for entry to teaching, or a qualification determined by the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) to be equivalent to an approved qualification.

The Victorian Government offers scholarships to teachers currently employed in government schools to gain a Graduate Certificate in Modern Languages.

Finding Teaching Jobs in Victorian Schools

The Committee is happy to advertise positions for teachers of German to members. Please forward details with a link and/or contact details to agtv[a]agtv.vic.edu.au.

Government school positions are advertised on the Department of Education and Training (DET) website. Applicants must address the selection criteria in their applications.

DET also have an online Language Educator Register for anyone interested in being notified of Languages education vacancies in Victorian government schools.

Independent schools advertise for staff through various media and agencies.

Look online on various employment websites e.g. SEEK or in some print media e.g. The Saturday Age, or on individual school websites.

Catholic schools have a platform to search for jobs in Victoria:

  • Job Search – Catholic Education Commission of Victoria Ltd

Teacher Salaries

Language Assistants


Some schools employ Language Assistants, often for conversation classes with students.

Assistants will need to be registered with the Victorian Institute of Teaching (VIT) or have a current Working With Children Check (WWCC).

Sometimes volunteers assist teachers. They also require VIT registration or a WWCC.

DET facilitate a Language Assistant program in Government schools where clusters of schools apply for an assistant either locally sourced or from Germany.

Language Assistants in Germany

Each year, the Pädagogische Austauschdienst (PAD) offers scholarships for language assistant positions in Germany. The assistants commence their stay in Germany with an introductory seminar between August and October, and finish on 31 May of the following year. The scholarship includes a monthly allowance, insurance and a travel grant.

World Education Program (WEP) Language Assistant Program

WEP* offers Teacher Assistant Exchanges in Australia (SLAP) and overseas (Global PALS)! This program offers young professionals from around Australia and the world, the opportunity to hone their skills in an international classroom for 3 to 12 months.

*World Education Program Australia Ltd (WEP Australia) is an independent, incorporated, not-for-profit Australian student exchange organisation registered/approved by the education departments/regulatory authorities in The Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, Queensland, South Australia, Tasmania and Victoria.